In Chase, there are two ways of adding a Client Credit Note. This can be from:
- the Add New button
This credit note is not linked to the Tax Invoice. Note that it is always advisable to create a credit note from the Tax Invoice, as this links to two documents.
- the Tax Invoice
A credit note is raised to return money to a client, for example, when a discount or refund is required after they have been billed. That means a Client Credit Note can only be raised against a Tax Invoice.
Find out how to:
Adding a Client Credit Note from the Tax Invoice
Here's a visual demonstration for adding a Client Credit Note from the Tax Invoice
- Open the Tax Invoice from which the Credit Note will be created.
- Click the Shortcut Menu button on the Toolbar.
- Select Credit Note from the list that appears.
The Create Credit Note dialog opens.
Click on the drop down arrow on the first field, and select from a list of billing options.
By default, new Credit Notes are created using credit option Credit the Full /Outstanding Amount Outstanding.
Click the Calendar button on the Date field and select the required date, or accept the automatically inserted current date.
We recommend that this date should not be changed as it represents when the Invoice was credited.
Untick the checkbox to the left of the line you do not want to credit.
In this example, DTP, Design, and Copy/Script were deselected.
- Uncheck the Create as Draft checkbox to allow the Credit Note to be actioned immediately after creation. You will tick the checkbox if you want to edit the credit note after creation.
Click the Create button.
The Credit Note screen is opened from where you can complete the credit note.
Notice that information like Client, Product and Order No, from the Job and Invoice, populate the fields on the Credit Note screen.
- Click on the drop down arrow on the Status field and select Issued from the list that appears.
- Once satisfied with your changes, click the Save button on the Toolbar.
Adding a Client Credit Note from the Add New button
Here's a visual demonstration for adding a Client Credit Note from the Add New button
- Open the Job Bag from which the Client Credit Note will be created.
- Click the Add New button on the Ribbon.
The Add New dialog appears.
Under the Document Types section, select the Credit Note button.
You can also double-click the Credit Note button to open the Credit Note form.
Click the Create button.
The Invoice Billed Date dialog appears.
Notice that the current date appears in the Billed Date field. You can Accept the automatically inserted current date, or click the Billed Date field Calendar button to select the desired date from the Calendar window that pops up.
Click the Submit button.
The Credit Note screen appears.
Notice that the Credit Note does not show any details of the invoice or line items that need to be credited. To inspect the Job for which the Credit Note was created, click the Job button in the Go To field.
- Enter details about this Credit Note in the Details field.
In this example, Client to be credited in full one line item was entered.
- Enter the order number used on the Tax Invoice in the Order No field.
In this example, MM1869 was entered.
- Click the Add Line button.
An empty line is added to the end of the section.
- To indicate the type of work to be credited, click the drop down arrow on the WorkType field and select from a list of Work types.
In this example, Digital Camera was selected from the list.
Enter the amount being credited in the Amount field.
Please note that if you do not enter the minus (–) sign next to the amount to be credited, a Change Amount dialog will appear alerting you to Negate the amount.
- Enter all the necessary work types for the Credit Note and click the drop down arrow on the Status field.
Select Issued from the list of status options.
Notice that once the Status is changed to Issued you are unable to edit some of these fields.
- Click the Save button on the Toolbar to save changes made to this document.