Templates are predefined documents that contain commonly entered information and from which new documents of that type can be created.
They save time by reducing user input to only the data required for a specific transaction.
Note that Templates do not store header information such as Client name, Status, Element, etc. as these are unique to each document. In the case of instructional documents, such as Briefs, Amendments or Billing Instructions, Templates will only remember the text details entered in the reference field and body of the document.
You can create CE templates and link them to Job Categories other than the one which the Job bag is on. This will determine which CE templates are displayed when a Job has a specific Job Category selected.
For more details on how CE templates are linked to Job Categories, please see Linking a CE template to a Job Category.
Find out how to:
Adding a CE template
Here's a visual demonstration for adding a CE template
- Open the CE that you want to create a template for and click the More button on the Toolbar.
- Select Create Template from the drop down list that appears.
- From the Create Template dialog, enter a name for the template in the Template Name field.
Click on the drop down arrow on the Link to Job Category field and select the job category to link this template to.
You can link the template to a different Job Category from the one selected on this Job. You can also link this template to multiple Job Categories.
- Click the Ok button to create the template.
The template will be linked to the selected Job Category.
- To view the template, go to Settings > Company Configuration > Templates.
Applying a CE Template
You can apply a template when you create a CE, or once the CE has been created. These steps show you how to apply the template after the CE has been created. See Creating a CE on how to apply a template when creating a CE.
Here's a visual demonstration for applying a CE template
Open the CE that you want to apply a template to and click the More button on the Toolbar.The Job Bag that contains the CE can be opened from the Recent Jobs list on the Home page, or from the Jobs button on the Ribbon.
- From the drop down list, select Apply Template and select the template that you want to apply.
An Apply Template dialog appears with a warning that all existing line items will be removed from the CE.
- If you do not wish to proceed click the No button, otherwise click Yes to apply the template.
- Make all the necessary changes to the CE, and then click the Save button.