Chase allows you to create dependencies between tasks. A Task dependency is a relationship in which a task or milestone relies on other tasks to be completed (partially or completely) before it can be performed. The ability for User A to hand a task back to User B lies in the set up of tasks that occurs on an individual task level.
Dependencies can be created or linked on the Job Bag:
- from the Tasks screen, a dependency can be created by clicking the Link Dependencies button.
- on the Gantt screen, a dependency can be created by holding and dragging one bar, from the middle of the bar, to another.
Below are steps to show you how to link dependencies to a Task.
- With the Job you want to edit open, click the Link Dependencies button against the line that you want to create a dependency for.
A Select dependant tasks for dialog appears. In this example a Select dependant tasks for Motion Design appears for the line selected.
Select the predecessor task that you want the selected task to depend on.
When a predecessor's task dates are changed, the dependent's task dates should change respectively, i.e. if the finish date for task 1 is delayed by 2 days, the start date for task 2 will be delayed by 2 days. This is based on a dependency relationship of Finish to Start (the second task can only start when the first task is complete) and can be done with a one to many relationship.
In this example, Design Review was made a predecessor of Motion Design.
- Once satisfied with your selection, click the OK button.
- Hover over the Link button against the task to view which tasks are predecessors and which tasks are dependencies for that task.